In 1989, representatives from: Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS), Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), fire departments, and hospital personnel met and formed what is now known as the Drowning Prevention Coalition of Arizona (DPCA).
Today, DPCA is comprised of parents, health and safety professionals, business leaders, and concerned citizens. The group exists to provide a forum for drowning prevention efforts through the promotion of education, legislative action, awareness, and enhanced product safety.
As a community-based organization, DPCA attracts members from many different areas. We are able to bring together individuals from different cities, industries, and backgrounds to work toward a common cause that significantly benefits the entire community.
The Coalition promotes the following three core principles of drowning prevention: ABC's of Water Safety
The Drowning Prevention Coalition of Arizona strives to meet the following objectives through Advocacy, Education, Support & Outreach:
Reduce Water Related Incidents
- Continue to increase public awareness about water safety in Arizona
- Expand the role of swimming lessons as a layer of protection
- Determine the factors influencing drowning trends in adult water-related incidents
- Continue to promote standard CPR as the preferred life-saving method for children age 8 and younger and victims of water-related incidents
- Continue to emphasize importance of pool barriers as a layer of protection
Expand the Drowning Surveillance System
- Continue to expand statistical reporting throughout state
Support and Connect Families Impacted by Drowning
- Connect families to grief resources and to Drowning Prevention Coalition of Arizona
Advisory Council RequirementsAttend at least one Board Meeting a year (either by phone or in person) AND at least one General Meeting a year. Participation on at least one committee and in email discussion, when relevant. Staffing a DPCA booth for at least 2 special events in a year. Assistance in special projects and fundraising, as needed.
The Board usually meets the second Thursday of each month from 11 am- 1 pm. Our General Meetings are scheduled after the Board meetings every 2-3 months. All Board and Advisory Council members must have a current membership to the DPCA.
SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS
The DPCA relies on subject matter experts to provide critical information and guide decisions. These individuals make an impact with their knowledge and information provided to the coalition.